Posted to alt.home.repair
mwlogs

Default joint compound

If there is any loose paper sticking up, use a sharp utility knife to cut to
away before putting your skim coat of mud over it. What looks insignificant
will stand out like a sore thumb when you try to sand it smooth.

Then prime the new patch, even if you are planning to paint the entire wall.
If not, the patched spot will look patched thru the final coat.

"mo" wrote in message
Can I put joint compound right over a small piece
of sheetrock that the paper layer was torn away from?
It has some paper still om the wall. No center gypsom is showing
through. I plan on painting or plastering over it. Thanks.