Grant Erwin

Default chemistry question

It's really easy to buy fake TSP in Washington too, but if you look
carefully you can get TSP. Which I always do. - GWE

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Dan Caster wrote:

Grant and Ed,
You might want to check the label on the box to see just what you
have. TSP is not easily procured in New York State. Yes it says TSP
on the box, but the fine print where it lists the ingrediants says
Sodium Carbonate. Sodium Carbonate is cheaper when bought as Sodium
Carbonate.

Here in Washington State, the fine print says contains TSP and Sodium
Carbonate. At least that was what the box at Lowes said. I have not
checked at Home Depot and ACE.

Dan

I have difficulty believing anything else is in a box
labeled as Trisodium Phosphate! If it does, then it
violates laws related to labeling products. I have two
boxes, one old one fairly new that are labeled TSP and both
do not mention any other compound, nor would I expect them
too. Now if you have a product that is labeled as a
cleaner, or a cleaner with TSP, who knows what would be in
it. Recheck the label on the box. If it is labeled as TSP,
it better be TSP.

Anyway sodium carbonate is known commonly as washing soda.
There is no more relationship between sodium carbonate and
trisodium phosphate than there is between TSP and sodium
chloride.