Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default Alternative education

In message .com,
writes

nightjar wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Just read this item

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4808906.stm

We have been considering the possibility of home educating DD for some
time. It seems that this school is following the spirit of HE.
My only reservation is that by not following the standard curriculum
and exam process, that the children's options will be limited. The
education system (and potential employer) is geared towards grading and
assessing in terms of exam results.

I would never have had some of my best employees if I took much notice of
school exam results. These days they are little more than an exercise in
ensuring that everyone leaves school with a bit of paper.

Colin Bignell

Really. That's interesting. What industry are you in? I know exams seem
to have been devalued with the recent grade inflation phenomenon, but I
wonder is it generally the case that employers are starting to
disregard exam results.

I don't think it is the general case, I suspect that smaller employers
are easier going , and probably always have been, Larger organisations
probably look for them more. If nothing else, it's an easy way to filter
out people when you have lots of applicants.

Would it be so bad if our child didn't have any
conventional exam passes? That's the question I'm wrestling with.

Depends on her intended or potential future career. The are plenty of
career routes where some GSCE's etc. are pretty much essential (not
necessarily the 9-10 many kids leave with).

I certainly don't want to put our children in a position where they
can't get the qualifications they might want/need. But there is no
reason Home Education should do that. Plenty of them take GCSE,s either
at home (often spread out over a number of years) or go to school for a
couplle of years, or go to college for a year etc. some know what they
want to do and follow other qualification paths.

But HE a child a 5 is not going to close down any of those paths in the
future.

--
Chris French