Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Scott Lane

Default Any repair shops left?

"Scott Lane" wrote in message
Just wondering if there are any small repair shops anymore. I am running a
small shop, mostly getting small low dollar repairs. I post a $20 minimum
charge but give away a lot of free estimates.

What is a good place to order picture tubes online? I know this is not
cost effective, but the customer wants an estimate . . . so . .. Thanks.
Scott

Well thanks guys -all good advice. Here in our town there are no repair
shops, only one within 50 miles. Well, two now. I post a sign for a deposit
so the customer feels they are getting a bargain by not having to pay it up
front. When/if I get busy I may enforce that more. But in a city where 85%
of the kids in the school are on free or reduced lunch program, there's not
a lot of extra money.

A lot of times people will give you the item if its NWF, but then I have to
pay a disposal fee, which is a double-loss - free estimate and have to pay
to get rid of it. Another reason to charge a deposit. Thanks guys. Scott