Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
Michael

Default Alternative DMMs to Fluke?

Jim Thompson wrote:

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 16:37:20 -0700, "Joel Kolstad"
wrote:

[snip]

I own a Tektronix TX1 that seems pretty indestructable; I like it (although I
wish it would remember whether you were last measuring AC or DC when you
change it from voltage to, e.g., ohms and back -- it always defaults back to
AC!). I used to own a Fluke 87 and was annoyed that it suffered from the
then-common problem of the zebra strip separating from the LCD, thereby causes
various LCD segments to fail. A quick trip through a Panavise fixed it for
good... or at least until I sold it some time later.

---Joel Kolstad

P.S. -- Another pretty common question on here is what college students should
get for meters, and my response to them is also not to bother with a premium
brand until they're really figured out what features they like in a meter and
just how abusive they are with them. :-)

P.P.S. -- They're really pretty awful, but you can buy a *lot* of those $2.99
Harbor Freight meters for the price of a Fluke...!

I have a Micronta that's served me well for I can't remember how many
years... maybe 20 or more.

...Jim Thompson

Jim, your post reminds me that my Micronta handheld, model# 22-188, formerly my
workhorse which I stashed away years ago as a spare, needs a proper fuse. I'd
completely forgotten. I popped the fuse somehow and, because I was hot on some
project at the time, kludged an ad hoc repair by soldering wirewrap wire across
the blown fuse (and me an engineer!). I gotta replace that fuse! Thanks for
the reminder.

I would recommend this meter - or similar - to anyone who is just starting in
electronics. It was inexpensive and is versitile and accurate enough for the
beginner.