Colin Blackburn

Default Emergency generator question

In article ,
says...

This is a really good question. Other than getting a generator, what other
ways are there that we can get organised now, rather than wait for it to
happen. After last years fiasco I'd rather be really well prepared. In my
case I was grateful for an open fire with back boiler. Although it
only heats one radiator and hot water, I was very glad I had it. I could at
least have a bath and go to work refreshed and clean! I've also acquired a
toasting fork so can live off beans on toast for a few days. Lighting is
the main difficulty without a generator.

Anyone got any ingenious ideas to prepare for power cut season? the more
Heath Robinson the better!

I'm already there. Off the grid with two wind turbines, batteries,
inverters and three (the previous occupant did nothing by half) diesel
generators---should the wind fail, coal/wood fire with back boiler
providing non-pumped heating to bedroom radiators, oil and lpg cooking,
and some oil heating (CH and stove). And, plenty of fuel stocks for the
winter.

Colin