Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

Default Cable Identification

In article
Phil L wrote:
Rob Morley wrote:

Hell his meter could be in the bathroom,

Why do you keep banging on about the meter? It's the CU that matters,
as that's where the cable will be connected.

And the meter is always a mile away from the CU?

I didn't say anything is always - you're the one who insists on making
generalisations. The bathroom could be in an extension that has its own
CU that's nowhere near the meter.

- pedant not over yet?

You still don't seem to grasp the difference between pedantry and
someone pointing out apparently gaping flaws in your ability to reason.

but I think we all know that it isn't...

I know no such thing. Nor does anyone else, based on the information
given. If you think you know then you are deluded.

So you think his CU is in the bathroom? - curiouser and curiouser...

I didn't say that it is, but I didn't assume that it isn't either.

in most houses the meter is usually downstairs and the bathroom
upstairs, stop being pedantic,

I'm not being pedantic, I'm pointing out your faulty reasoning. What
makes you think we're talking about an upstairs bathroom? Plenty of
houses have downstairs showers.

What makes you think we are talking about a downstairs shower?, *most*
houses have showers upstairs.

The OP doesn't live in most houses, he lives in his house. All we know
is that he says he has an electric shower of some sort with a cable that
/may/ be underrated.

you are guesing the same as everyone else,

I'm not guessing anything - you're the one who said the cable is
undersized without knowing all the significant facts.

I know that 6mm cable isn't suitable for modern (9.5KW and above) showers,
and yes, we are all guessing, I was edging on the side of caution while you
are clutching straws that it /might/ be /ok/ if this and if that.

I'm still not guessing anything (except possibly that you're not the
sharpest knife in the drawer - there's some evidence to support that).

the OP hasn't said where it is so it's safe to assume it's in the
'normal' range.

He didn't state whether it's a house or a flat. If it's a flat then
my scenario is more likely to be correct than yours is. He didn't
even state the rating of the shower ...

Exactly, and I'll wager that more poeople live in houses than flats in the
UK, and that most people in those houses have a shower upstairs, of course
we could all be wrong and he lives in a tent.

How can I be wrong when I haven't made any claims about the OPs specific
situation? You keep making generalisations while failing to answer the
OPs question, and repeatedly fail to acknowledge that without more
information there cannot be an authoritative answer, preferring instead
to guess and bluster.