Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.mobile
Skier

Default DIY Faraday cage for a mobile phone

"Simon" wrote in message
Hello -

I'm writng some software to run on a PocketPC with a built-in GPRS phone,
and I need to test the software when the GPRS signal is weak, intermittent
or non-existent. The cheapest way to do this seems to be to build a
Faraday
cage with adjustable leakiness. It needs to have some holes in it so that
can see the screen and tap it with a stylus. Unfortunately I'm working at
location that has excellent GPRS coverage.

I've already confirmed that a metal tin that previously contained Marks
and
Spencers chocolate biscuits is 100% effective, but I can't see through it
or
operate the PocketPC. I've also tried making a cage out of a single sheet
of
galvanized chicken wire with 12mm square holes, held together with plastic
cable ties, with overlapped joints. This only caused a small amount of
attenuation, the PocketPC hardly noticed. I'm guessing that it failed
because the diagonals of the holes are larger than 10% of the wavelength
that GPRS uses (1800MHz ?) or because the plastic cable ties don't provide
good conductivity at the joints.

Before I go out and buy some expensive perforated copper sheet, can anyone
offer advice on improvements?

Thanks

I would use the tin idea with a small hole cut and connect the USB cable and
then use "active sync remote display" to control and view the screen. Easy!

Then you can chop the tin up and creat some leaks to simulate different GPRS
strength.

Paul