Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Alternative education

nightjar wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Just read this item

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4808906.stm

We have been considering the possibility of home educating DD for some
time. It seems that this school is following the spirit of HE.
My only reservation is that by not following the standard curriculum
and exam process, that the children's options will be limited. The
education system (and potential employer) is geared towards grading and
assessing in terms of exam results.

I would never have had some of my best employees if I took much notice of
school exam results. These days they are little more than an exercise in
ensuring that everyone leaves school with a bit of paper.

Colin Bignell

Really. That's interesting. What industry are you in? I know exams seem
to have been devalued with the recent grade inflation phenomenon, but I
wonder is it generally the case that employers are starting to
disregard exam results. Would it be so bad if our child didn't have any
conventional exam passes? That's the question I'm wrestling with.