Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Convert 230v to 110v

Dave H. wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
brendonavoo69 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can put a 110v plug on a 230v drill so that the
drill would become 110v?

A 240v drill will run ok on 110v, but at half the speed and a fair bit
lower power. But if its not for a lot of work it may do ok. If OTOH
you've got whole days of drilling to do, I'd get a 240v one, it'll be
quicker.

Unfortunately, the back-emf in the motor windings is proportional to the
speed, so as it slows down, more current flows, the windings get very hot...
which is how drill motors get burned out. (don't believe me? hold the
trigger in on a stalled drill for a few minutes, smell how hot it gets. Then
buy a new drill).

Hope this helps,
Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

the comparison is not equivalent, and running the motor on lower v will
reduce i, not increase it. Ask news:sci.electronics.design if you wish.

NT