Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Carpenter bees

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:49:44 -0400, wrote:

Found sawdust from hole being bored that was hidden by the garage door
either open or closed. Viewable only when door is open and then a
crack about 2" for access. Tried spackle but she just knocked it out.
Yesterday tried Liquid Nails and this morning it's still in place.
DAGS and suggestions boil down to gluing in a dowel but access
precludes that for us. Now to the big box for something for Fire
Ants. Have read that Amdro (SP?) works for them. Moved from So.
Calif to Georgia in December so we're experiencing more than merely a
different spectrum of birds.

For cbee's, should put moth balls in the holes before filling. Don't
remember why but I guess it is so they won't make another entrance to
the same chambers.

But I didn't know about the mothballs when I used plastci wood, and
they haven't been back for several years.

I didn't print the URL, because I printed out all I thought I would
ever need, but search on carpenter bee 'Michigan State university
Extension' . If you find 10 pages of pretty serious material, you
found what I found. You can add Xylocopa to the search words also,

Or maybe the whole first line "Two species of Xylocopa, or carpenter
bees, occur in the eastern U.S. Xylocopa vinginica is found from
Maine to Wisconsin and south to florida and Texas."

Does anyone know if it helps to have the words in the same order as
the the website has it, when searching?

Cbees are unlikely to sting, have to be held and provoked, and the
sting is mild. But I wouldn't assume this is true if I were on a
ladder. Heck, even if one innocently flies in your mouth, it might be
enough to knock you off. I had no problem. they weren't there all the
time. Most of them were out when I sealed their holes. I guess they
moved to my neighbors' -- is that my fault?