Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Strickland

Default Carpenter bees

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 07:49:44 -0400, wrote:

Found sawdust from hole being bored that was hidden by the garage door
either open or closed. Viewable only when door is open and then a
crack about 2" for access. Tried spackle but she just knocked it out.
Yesterday tried Liquid Nails and this morning it's still in place.
DAGS and suggestions boil down to gluing in a dowel but access
precludes that for us. Now to the big box for something for Fire
Ants. Have read that Amdro (SP?) works for them. Moved from So.
Calif to Georgia in December so we're experiencing more than merely a
different spectrum of birds.

Welcome to Georgia. Only been to California (San Fancisco) once, so my
experience is limited, but I think that you'll find the climate a bit
different - air gets humid enough in the mid-late summer that you'll wonder
whether you're breathing or drinking BG. On a visit, my Brother-in-Law, who
was living in San Francisco at the time, commented at our Labor Day cookout
that he now knew why it's so green here. Lived here all my life myself and
dunno if I'd like it anywhere else.

For Carpenter Bee control visit
http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/sto...m?storyid=2805, it is an article
from the Ga Extension Service. They have a great newsletter that you can get
free if you shop around the Extension Service site for the signup link.

Amdro works and works well in my experience. It also appears to be not really
toxic to higher species - I had some ducklings following behind me eating the
stuff as I put it out a few years back. They probably ate a quarter cup or so
between the four of them and it didn't hurt em a bit. Wish I had seen them
eating the stuff sooner though - had to re-treat those mounds.

You should note that Amdro is not an instant fix - it takes a little time
between application and an empty mound. Dunno your level of infestation, but
if you use Amdro to knock the number of mounds back drastically this year,
you'll only have to treat a few here and there in the future as new colonies
establish from queens flying in from surrounding areas. Keep a close eye on
the edges and expansion joints of your driveway and concrete walkways - those
are favored locations for fire ants to establish colonies.

You can buy stuff that keeps the fire ants down all summer (their claim, but
I'm skeptical) and stuff that guarantees a quick kill, but I'd be afraid of
the toxic effect - particularly if I had young kids. Fire ants are a *lot*
less harmful (unless you're allergic to their sting) than the stuff that the
chemical companies try to say you've gotta use to have a "safe" yard. Even
though it's not fun to get mixed up in a nest of fire ants, they don't come
out for your throat whenever you set foot outdoors like the ads on TV would
have you believe.

Although I haven't heard of any releases in Ga, Fla has had several releases
of flies to control fire ants and what I've heard is positive. As I
understand, the flies are self sustaining in the wild now and spreading.

Hmmm - as I was typing, a new newsletter article came in from the Extension
Service. Since you are new to the area, you may find the info useful. This
URL will take you to the article -
http://georgiafaces.caes.uga.edu/sto...m?storyid=2811.

Hope I've been of help.

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.