Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default How do I demagnetize my radiometer?

In article , Jeff Wisnia says...

I don't own a demagnetizer big enough to fit the whole bulb in, and
before I spend the time winding a BF coil and energizing it through a
transformer and variac, does anyone have any ideas what else I could do
or use to attempt to demagnetize this old family friend? (Without
busting the glass that is.)

I guess if this were mine I'd do the following:

1) wind a ten-or-so turn coil out of bare number 12 or 10 house
wire. Space the turns out so they don't touch. Coil to be
just large enough to slip over the radiometer bulb.

2) connect that coil to the largest weller solder gun you own.

3) pull the trigger on the gun when it is far away from the bulb.

4) *Slowly* advance the coil towards the radiometer. The vanes
inside may start jumping around and could possibly break the glass.
Do this step slow and abort if it starts to get too exciting.

5) pass the back and forth over the bulb, don't let go of the
trigger.

6) bring the bulb and the gun apart, to full arms' length
before releasing the trigger.

Don't use insulated wire, the coil will get *hot*. Don't let the
coil touch the glass bulb for the same reason....

Jim

please reply to: