Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30285

Default Three phase switch for single phase?

On 6 Apr 2006 10:28:44 -0700, andy wrote:
"As a bit of an aside, do make sure to properly ground the motor. I
assume you at least know this much, but the ground should NEVER be
switched. "
Understood.

i: thanks for the contactor link. Do you know of a good primer on
setting something like that up? I would imagine that that is a
component inside a box with a start and stop pushbutton? For now i
will just use my existing switch, but down the road it may be nice to
have a start-stop pushbutton setup with the saw's brake hooked up to
the stop circuit. Stomp on the brake and a. the circuit is opened, and
b. the wheels stop.

are the boxes modular? lots of questions.
Thanks again,
Andy

A contactor is a device that engages contacts by means of a mechanical
action, which is set in motion by electric field. There is a coil
inside a contactor. When power is applied to the coil, magnetic force
created by the coil moves main contacts and closes them. When power is
removed from coil, a spring opens main contacts again. That happens
very quickly and such contactors can be controlled with tiny switches,
possibly from distance, instead of having big handles when switching
manual switches.

Whether a given contactor would fit a given box, is something that you
would need to check.