Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Can anybody recognise this plumbing item. I think it may be a de-aerator

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 16:07:20 +0100, Fred wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
Matt, again..."If the system is not re-dosed, and 95% are not, then the
Magnaclean prevents blockages". Got it?

The same ignorance that would cause people not to replenish their
inhibitor
will predicate against the use of an expensive alternative.

If it is fitted on a boiler change or new installation then it is there,
even when the house changes hands and the new owners are ignorant of
inhibitor. How any service engineers replace inhibitor? How many bother
to check if it has been replaced?

Given that in reality inhibitor should last many years despite what it
recommends on labels, the statistics you quote bear little resemblance to
reality.

I think many would agree in principle that inhibitor is often overlooked,
nevertheless inhibitor is only lost through leaks or work which required
draining where it wasn't replaced through negligence. I cannot believe that
only 5% of systems have sufficient inhibitor to prevent corrosion.

IME probably 20% have inhibitor (i.e I can detect it by the look and
smell when I drain down).

I'd about 10-20% of systems have dire faults and serious corrosion,
usually brought about by wrong pipework or a failed expansion vessel.

That leaves a large number which have neither faults nor inhibitor,
generally these don't seem to come to a lot of harm unless electrolytic
corrosion begins.