Woodspoiler

Default Angle Grinder Advice

At £10 it's worth buying the Screwfix one to see how you get on
with it. If it burns out within a year, you get a replacement
under warranty (IME Screwfix are good about replacing things). If
it burns out after a year or it just isn't up to the jobs you
want to use it for, you can treat it as disposable and use the
experience to specify a better/more expensive one with the
confidence that you now know what you need.

As it happens I have the £10 Screwfix jobbie and the diamond
blade, but only for two weeks so I have no way to know how it'll
stand up to hard use. Even if it lasts longer than I do, that
tells you nothing - the failure rate could be 90 per cent in the
first year and I could have one of the other 10 per cent. At the
rate Screfix shifts stuff, even the quality is brilll, there's
still going to be somebody out there whose grinder went nova on
the first outing. That can happen with any brand, just some are
more likely to do it than others.

FWIW, mine feels solid enough and the quality quite adequate, but
that's only a superficial judgement and I haven't used any other
brands so I don't know how it compares.

W.

"Grunff" wrote in message
Brownie wrote:

I am getting an angle grinder as a present. The cheaper end

of the market
seems to be 115mm and there seems an abundance of grinders

and discs in this
size at good prices. Homebase have a so-called 'half-price'

125mm 1000watt
model at 39 quid. it looks a good pressie in it's case etc

but they don't
even have any 125mm discs in stock. This is my first grinder

so I was
wondering is the extra size and power worth it or am I buying

into a querky
size destined to always be struggling for dics and at higher

prices. i
would be using the grinder for metal cutting, patio slabs,

paving slabs (if
poss)...thanks for any advice

IME all 115/120/125mm grinders will take 115/120/125 discs - so
don't worry too much about that.

I've had many, *many* grinders. I've had £14.99 power devils,
and I currently have a Bosch, a B&D, and a cheapo one.

There is a big difference in the quality, but you'll only

notice
it when you push the machine, and especially when you burn out
the motor ;-)

Whatever you buy, make sure it takes a 22mm bore disc, that's
what counts.

--
Grunff