Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.architecture.alternative
Robert Gammon

Default Swamp Cooler to Refrigeration A/C

wrote:
Abby Normal wrote:

... it is a bad idea to use evaporative cooling on indoor air.

In your opinion. Then again, I proved it was, using numbers :-)

Nick

Well alt.home.repair appears to have missed the thread.

How about this as a Swamp Cooler idea????

High pressure water (160-200psi min - up to 2000psi) thru very small
orifice nozzles parallel to and pointing slightly away from the
condenser coil of a Refrigeration A/C. You DO not want ANY of this
spray to HIT the coils of the condenser even if you use ultra high
purity water (i.e. RO or Distilled) as mineral plating will occur. The
evaporation of this fine spray is rapid and will lower the temps of the
air entering the condenser, thereby cooling the working fluid faster and
to a lower temperature, shorter runtimes for the compressor, faster
cooldown of the dwelling, etc.

With a 160psi system I built, 4 nozzles consume about 2 gallons of water
per hour of operation. Higher pressures with smaller nozzles will
produce a much smaller droplet of water that will evaporate faster.
These higher pressures will use more water, but produce a MUCH more
impressive effect.