Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba Calibration Fiasco - Model 24-AF43

ChrisCoaster wrote:
snip

Now here's the quandary: The Toshiba still has that "Xenon headlight"
glare, especially with outdoor scenes and with light-colored clothing.
The effect was particularly glaring when I performed the following
experiment:

I took photos of both the Sony and the Toshiba playing a B&W oldie
movie on Turner Classics. Analyzing the two, I could not get over how
"blue" and overly bright the Toshiba's image was compared to the almost
warm Sony black & white.

I will leave you all with the following: All
color/brightness/contrast/tint settings in service mode are back to
factory default. No cutoff/bias or drive/gains were adjusted on either
set. I would appreciate any suggestions you folks have with regards to
my Toshiba, as that is the living room - Read: Home Theater - center
piece. Going into those service menus did *something* to that picture,
I just don't know for the life of me what.

Your thoughts/comments/suggestions are appreciated.

I assume you performed all these calibrations with the sets having run
for at least 30 minutes? components drift slightly in value as they
warm up and the crt also needs time to reach it's optimum performance.
you may also want to check components like capacitors in the rgb path
and perhaps the sets' b+ line (especially if there seems to be poor
regulation on bright scenes).

remember that with any equipment, all tweaking is simply a compromise:
recognize that you may never get a 'perfect' picture or colour
balance and try to live with what you have or you'll probably end up
going mad!
B.