Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jw

Default Three phase switch for single phase?

andy wrote:
Hi group. I have a big vertical bandsaw that I would like run with a
single phase motor. The saw came with a three phase motor and switch.
I would like to use the existing switch for 220 volt single phase
power. I know enough about electricity to get me into trouble. The
existing switch looks to be a single throw, triple pole type. Can I
just use two of the three sets of contacts for my 220 volt single
phase?

the specifics of the switch are as follows:
30A 250V AC
20A 600V AC
Motor Ratings 2HP
110-600V AC 3-phase
"manual motor starter"
Arrow-Hart and Hegeman Elec. Co
Hartford, Conn USA

The old 3-phase motor is 1HP
The new single phase motor is 2hp, full load amps = 12
both motors are 1725 rpm

Thanks for any insight you may have,
Andy Hall
Lynn, MA

It will be fine.

As a bit of an aside, do make sure to properly ground the motor. I
assume you at least know this much, but the ground should NEVER be
switched.

JW