Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn

Default FA: Dumore Tool Post Grinder Inserts, K.O. Lee Index Disc and other metalworking items on Ebay

In article ,
"Ken Davey" wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"Ken Davey" wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,

Series 11? I inherited a Series 11 from my maternal grandfather,
long before I had any idea what a toolpost grinder was. I pulled
it out of dusty neglect and ran it, but the spindle bearings don't
feel right, and heat up if the unit is run. The motor is in
perfect condition.

Do you have the manual? I'd like to take the spindle apart and see
if I can fix it. If spare parts are available.

Joe Gwinn

Sounds like it just needs proper lubrication.
Could be that the oil in the spindle has hardened over time. Try
fresh spindle oil. Disassenbly is fraught with trouble if you don't
know exactly what you are doing.

I did oil it to the gills, to no effect. When I turn it by hand, it
feels like gravel in the bearings, and as it ran it got hotter, and it
tightened noticeably. I stopped it before it locked up. I bet the
bearings are toast, so I have little to lose.

Joe

True.
Suggest you contact Dumore Corp. for advice and prices of new bearings. They
are responsive.
My contact is MNelson at dumorecorp.com

I'll try this. Thanks.

Joe Gwinn