Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

Default Installing a fence....

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message
My solution was VERY low-tech: I went to the local farm store and

purchased
an electric fencer. I installed everything myself and it worked like a

charm.
She never climbed the fence again. (PETA can kiss my @$$.)

I did a similar thing... I hammered some 3/4" square steel tubing in the
ground as posts and then put some insulators on them... The posts are only
about 30" high and I run two wires -- one low enough that he can't crawl
under it, the other one about 8-9" above that, pretty much at nose level...
I'm able to keep him in certain area of the yard so that he doesn't lay
landmines all over everywhere in addition to keeping him away from the cable
internet line so it doesn't get chewed up... He's pretty lazy (half German
Shepherd and half Saint Bernard) so he's either too lazy to jump over it or
too stupid...

Don't install a 6-ft fence for any other reason that you LIKE how it

looks -
not merely for dog containment. Keeping a dog inside a fence, even a
48-inch-high fence, can be accomplished in much less expensive and

obtrusive
ways.

Previous dogs I had would chew through the wooden fences... They would dig
down a bit until they hit the clay and couldn't dig any further and then
start eating a hole through the fence... They would go out, but come back...
My current dog is so stupid he can't find his way back home... He's also so
friendly that is kind of like, "Smile at me, I'm your's"...

However, considering that CATV's idea of a buried drop is to simply kick

dirt
over it, burying it yourself MIGHT not be a bad idea. You just don't HAVE

do it - they should.

I prefer to run the CATV and phone lines through Schedule-40 PVC pipe so
that if I'm eventually digging around in that area, I might notice it before
actually cutting the line... Schedule-20, doesn't work... With one swipe of
my post hole digger, I went through 3 pieces of Schedule-20 that was used
for my sprinkler system that all crossed exactly where I was wanting to put
a fence post...