Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default FA: Dumore Tool Post Grinder Inserts, K.O. Lee Index Disc and other metalworking items on Ebay

According to Joseph Gwinn :
In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

[ ... ]

If only they would fit the series 11 grinders, instead of the
series 57, I would be interested.

Series 11? I inherited a Series 11 from my maternal grandfather, long
before I had any idea what a toolpost grinder was. I pulled it out of
dusty neglect and ran it, but the spindle bearings don't feel right, and
heat up if the unit is run. The motor is in perfect condition.

Interesting -- one of the bearings in my *motor* feels lumpy,
but the spindle bearings are in great shape.

Do you have the manual?

Don't I wish! I presume that you don't, either. If I could get
it, I would scan it and make it available for download, as I have done
with my manual for the Dumore drill sharpening setup, which handles from
1/4" down to #70 drill bits.

I'd like to take the spindle apart and see if I
can fix it. If spare parts are available.

Not from Dumore, at least. Same for the manuals.

I don't know whether it is obvious on yours, (it was rather
hidden on mine), but there are a pair of holes in the faces of the
bearing caps for a two-pin spanner to use to unscrew the caps.

Do you have the wrench for holding the pulleys still while you
undo the nuts securing them? I'm going to have to make one. I just
made a wheel guard for mine for the larger wheels (if I can ever get the
nut off the smaller pulley on the spindle to swap them for slower speeds
for the larger wheels).

I also need to make the adaptors for mounted stones for inside
grinding. I *think* that the thread on the business end of the spindle
is 1/4-32, and have just ordered some taps and a die for making things
to fit -- and for cleaning up the threads on my spindle.

There appear to be three lube points for the spindle -- one with
the flip-top lid near the center, and two with felt plugs under hollow
screws near the ends -- probably for small needle roller bearing cages.

The bearings in the motor are sealed, and I think that I'll need
to replace one -- the one at the pulley end.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |