Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default fluorescent lighting bad for you??

willshak wrote:
sparty wrote:

I was telling my wife today, that I would like to replace a good 75% or
more of our light bulbs with fluorescent light bulbs to save on energy.

Her immediate response was, "I have heard that fluorescent lights are
bad for you". Is there any truth to that? Skin Cancer, etc....

There are billions of fluorescent bulbs used around the world. It is
suspected that fluorescent bulbs can cause skin cancer as much as the
sun when used in a tanning bed.

Speaking of fluorescent lamps, I saw on TV yesterday that someone had
invented a dimmer for the usual office lamps. It contains a computer
chip and ballast that replaces the original ballast and causes the lamp
to flicker before reaching the full brightness in the start up. It is
dimmed the same as an incandescent lamp but with a dimmer switch which
adjusts the time of shut off in the start up. The flickering is
imperceptible at all settings. It is supposed to have energy savings of
at least 50% (dimming lights during the day and at night in unused
offices, corridors, stairwells, etc.)
No existing lamps have to be replaced, only the ballast.

It is suspected...? Not by scientists and medical
personnel.

Save another 50 percent and turn the damn things
off when not used. Whoops, guess it didn't cost
anything for the 8 hours of use per day.