Posted to alt.home.repair
Sir Topham Hatt

Default Yet Another GFCI Problem

I borrowed a GFCI tester to test a GFCI receptacle in my house that was a bit
too sensitive to my liking. Here is what I found

1) I could trigger the GFCI from a downstream receptacle , so far so good
2) I could not trigger the GF from the GFCI receptacle , not good

Figuring the receptacle was at fault, I purchased a new Leviton GFCI. Hooked it
up the *EXACTLY* way the old one was wired (2 load pairs, 1 line pair) and when
I turn the circuit breaker back on, the new GFCI did not work and It could not
be reset with the reset button. The Leviton's have this feature that keeps the
receptacle disabled if it is not hooked up properly, but I doubled check that I
had the wiring the way it was so I'm guessing it was originally set up
incorrectly or the Leviton was DOA out of the box.

I checked all the other GFCI circuits in my house and 1 other one exhibited the
same behavior. I am not surprised since I was the first owner of this 5 year
old house and IIRC I had a couple of other electrical related problems that the
builder had to correct when I first moved in.

Any detail guesses what is wrong?

thxs