Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default I'm puzzled about my leaking roof. It's not leaking like a leakshould leak.

Daniel Cullpeppper wrote:
Hi. Thanks for looking in.

Almost all leaks I've ever dealt with go Drip, Drip, Drip, forever.

But this one goes Drip, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip, Pour, Drip, Drip,
Pour, Drip, Drip, Drip, Drip, PourŠ I hope you can see the pattern
there. The Drips might be 30 seconds apart, and then it Pours for 8 to
12 seconds. Then starts over with the single Drips followed by a Pour.

The question - What causes it to Pour every few minutes? I'm stumped.
If anyone would hazard a guess, or better yet, know why it does that,
I'd surely appreciate. Thank You,

Daniel Cullpeppper
.

Quite a mystery! With the rhythm you describe, it makes me think of a
couple of scenarios ... water collecting on top of roof in a small
depression (bent shingles or warped spot on deck) and the water fills up
the depression and wind blows it into some opening, like a vent or a
hole. The other would be a leak over one spot, with water dripping onto
a rafter or ceiling, traversing to where it comes through the ceiling.

A small gap in fascia, or wind strong enough to blow rain into roof or
soffit vents would be places to examine carefully. Get out the caulk
gun and look for every possible opening. As others suggest, look for
stains inside. We helped a friend locate a leak on his roof, far away
from where a substantial amount of water was draining out of a ceiling
light fixture - the leak was a missing shingle and warped deck right
above a rafter - water ran down the rafter onto the ceiling plaster
board and across/down to the light fixture.