Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband

Default Cable TV options?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire my home for cable TV.

I ran the incoming coax to a basic unamplified splitter with four outputs.
One for the living room, one for my home office, and two for each of our
bedrooms. Then I ran the cable to each room and installed a single coax
wall plate.

Then, in each room, I connected a cable that ran to a splitter with two
outputs, one for the TV, one for the VCR. In the office, I used the same
type of splitter for the internet cable modem, and a TV tuner in my
computer.

Of course, you could expand on the idea if you want cable in more rooms or
want more outlets in each room.

When the cable company came out to hook us up, the installer simply asked
me how many outlets I had installed (I said 8, since that's the final count
after all the splitters). He adjusted the signal level out at the pole and
tested the level inside the house.

The installer wasn't too crazy about my RG59 Cable or home center cable
splitters (they use higher quality RG6 and better splitters), but we have
great signals everywhere with no noise.

I think the critical thing is to keep the system balanced. You can split
the signal four ways, and then again at each end, or you can use a single 8
outlet splitter. But you shouldn't split the signal four ways, and then
split one of the single lines four ways too. This would result in a
stronger signal at some outlets than others.

Anthony