Posted to rec.woodworking
Gooey TARBALLS

Default Carbide saw blades

KEN, it DEPENDS. I've used a variety of blades over the years and had as
many sharpened from time to time.

My grandfather (Irish carpenter) would say "its a poor workman that blames
his tools."

My son-in-law was complaining that his $200 Forrest variable dado blade
won't fit on his Craftsmen Table Saw Arbor when set to 3/4". I suggested
he'd do as well with a HF Dado set given the amount of work he's likely to
complete in the next four years. I still have my SEARS ADJ Dado Blades and
(24 teeth) they work fine for much of my work. But the rounded bottom caused
me to try the HF stacked dado set. And it works, too.

Now, I do not produce fancy wood furniture for a living and I don't cut
dado's every month, so HF is fine as long as I take my time, make a test cut
or two and plan things out.

The best thing I got for my sawing was the LINK BELT. An immediate and
noticeable difference in the operation of the saw and the cuts. Will never

If your work is not suffering, why change? There is no direct/absolute
correlation between cash expended and quality of the finished piece - its
what separates the craftsmen from the woodworkers that makes the difference.

On the other hand, if your HF blades are not allowing you to make the cuts
with the precision your projects require - then you need to ask what you
might do to fix the problem.

Don't be ashamed of creating great work on a budget!

Spend the savings on quality materials and hardware!

"Ken Grunenberg" wrote in message
I have a question about carbide blades.
In the past I have been using the cheap $6-$10 Harbor freight blades and
dressing the teeth as needed until the blade nolonger cuts well.(very dull)
I than toss it out and use another new blade. With $12 to $20 for sharpening
my method seems, on the face, to be best.
I would like to hear other ideas from fellow wood chippers.

KenG