Posted to uk.d-i-y
Guy King

Default Plan to knock down old conservatory and build summer room/extention

The message . com
from "Gazza" contains these words:

However, people are telling me
that as part of the plan is to remove the existing patio door that
leads to the conservatory (as it is now), this means that we need
planning permission. Is this the case?

Certainly one issue is that when it's a conservatory you can't take out
the exterior grade door to the house because of heat-loss rules - in
effect you'd have to upgrade the insulation to a level not normally
possible with conservatories.

As for when it's an extension - dunno, but there may be some confusion
between building regs and planning permision. When the woman came round
to look at the site for my conservatory she said that provided it's a
conservatory (translucent roof being on of the deciding factors) I
didn't need building control to visit provided I wasn't taking the doors
out or making new doors /unless/ I was putting insulating draughtproofed
doors in their place.

--
Skipweasel