Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB

Default sanding/staining front door question

Mikepier wrote:
I have an oak front door that was previously stained and polyurethaned
sort of a dark walnut color. Since the door faces west, the sun beats
on most of the day and the polyurethane has worn off , but the stain
for the most part is still there. I want to restain it the same color.
Is it necessary to sand down to bare wood, or can I just sand it to the
point to take a coat of new stain of the same color?
I know that after the stain, I have to lightly sand with 220 grit
sandpaper before I put the finish coat of polyurethane.

it wont stain evenly if some parts have poly on them and some parts do
not. Its the front door, so don't skimp.

What kind of wood is it?

--
Thank you,