Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier

Default sanding/staining front door question

I have an oak front door that was previously stained and polyurethaned
sort of a dark walnut color. Since the door faces west, the sun beats
on most of the day and the polyurethane has worn off , but the stain
for the most part is still there. I want to restain it the same color.
Is it necessary to sand down to bare wood, or can I just sand it to the
point to take a coat of new stain of the same color?
I know that after the stain, I have to lightly sand with 220 grit
sandpaper before I put the finish coat of polyurethane.