Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking
John \(NC\)

Default Good Lathe Chuck for a beginner

"Dave & Denise Kother" wrote in message
Hello All,

I did some word turning back in high school some 20 years ago, and am
going to be getting back into it with a midi sized lathe. I hope to be
making some small bowls and such, just working an old hobby that I loved
so much.

When I turned in high school, we used a scrap block glued to the turned
wood and the faceplate was screwed to the scrap. The more I have been
reading, that doesn't seem too popular now, but chucks seem to be the
better way to do things. I am trying to do some reading on chucks to
familiarize myself with them.

What is a good chuck for a beginner that will serve a good range of
projects? I understand that some can clamp inside and outside, and there
are a lot of variations. Money is a bit of an issue, so I want to get a
good one that can do a variety of jobs.

Thanks for all of your input.

DK

Like you I just got back into turning and did not have a lot of money to
spend. I found a chuck at Craft Supplies that comes with 3 sets of jaws and
a screw center. I just got one the other week and so far it has been good
for me. It make just what you are looking to get. Check it out,
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cg...n&key=454-0100

John