Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Default Finishing both sides of the wood

Put "small" finishing nails in the end of the shelf.

You end up with four nails per shelf.

Use the nails as support by sitting the shelf between
two scraps of wood. Stain and wipe one side, then sit
the shelf between the supports and stain and wipe the
remaining side.

I normally just stain and wipe the entire shelf and
don't have to resort to the above method.

The above method is an excellent solution to your
poly coating.

dnoyeB wrote:

I am making some shelves and have sanded both sides and the edges
nicely. Then when it came to stain the wood I am stumped. How do I
stain both sides?