Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Plastic to brass light switch: extra earth required?

wrote:
I recently replaced a plastic light switch with a brass victorian type.
Coming from the ceiling were 2 x red wires and an earth, which
connected securely to the metal mounting box.

Question: There is an earth terminal on the back of the brass
faceplate. Do I need to connect this to the earth on the back box?

Thanks,
Bruce

Its advisable, but in practice if you use metal screws these have the
same effect.

The earth connection on the face plate is important if, like me, you
have plastic dryfit backing boxes...