Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Default Help with Sprinkler Backflow Prevention

ashroyer wrote:
Can I use a continuous pressure double check valve when connecting my
sprinkler system to my water line, such as this???

http://www.watts.com/pdf/ES-9DM3_M2.pdf

I've been recommended an Anti-siphon pressure vacuum breaker, such as:

http://www.watts.com/pdf/ES-800M4QT.pdf

But they are more expensive and much bigger.

There are no city codes in my area requiring the use of a backflow
prevention device though I'd still like to put something in.

Andy

--
ashroyer

Andy-

In all my spronkler vavle installtions I have used individual Champion
anit-siphon valves
rather than an input line anti-siphon device.

http://www.championirrigation.com/HT.../Cat_ASVs.html

brass on brass.............valves installed 20 years ago still working,
some solenoids replaced

That said, I cannot see why the valve you propose would not work.

However examaning the pressure drop vs flow curves that you provided,
I see that "your device" has a much larger pressure drop for a given
flow

~15psi drop at 10gpm vs ~5psi for the "other type"

depends on your flow your system requires & how much pressure you can
afford to lose.

cheers
Bob