Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer room static blowing server power supplies

My technicians have been testing the grounds to the steel and they are
intact. We have a new fiber pull coming into the room just today via and
existing conduit. The failures have been occuring for almost 2 months but
much more frequently these last 2 weeks.

"petrus bitbyter" wrote in message
l.nl...

Is ground still connected to good old earth? You'll have to check to be
sure. Suppose the metal of the floor and installation has been grounded
carefully but you'll have to check this too. An open ground connection may
be the cause of you problems. Especially an open connection that is closed
again by someone entering the room.

On all PCs and servers I know, the secondary of the power supply has been
connected to the enclosure which in turn is grounded. So I assume the
spark
jumps from the primary of the power supply the the chassis. Looks like
neutral and hot are floating which means that the neutral has not been
connected to ground, at least not properly. (Don't know where neutral
should
be grounded in your place.)

There are other possibillities. Did someone install a badly insulated neon
sign near you? Some other renovation maybe? Something else I can't even
imagine but not very likely. I'm pretty sure something is not grounded
properly anymore, but what?

petrus bitbyter