Posted to rec.woodworking
daclark

Default Using Countertop as workbench top

I have to put in my two cents here...
I use high density particle board for my bench tops. A double layer of
3/4, laminated together and substrated with a one-by apron assembly,
has great tensile strength that allows you to hammer without bounce.
When I want to set up a fixture, I can fasten it to the top. If I slip
with a gouge, it takes the cut. I can set doweling stops wherever I
want. It absorbs spilled stain. Glue chips off easily. When it gets
too many holes in it, I make a paste of glue and sawdust, fill the
holes and belt-sand it clean. It's as good as new.
Put function into your base assembly and load it with your handtools,
clamps, and small electrics (not because I am telling you what to do)
but every bit of weight that you put into the base makes it a better
work bench.
"There is nothing worse than straining against your work and having
your work bench walk away from you..."
But, if all you've got is a wobbly card table, that's where you should
work wood. g