Posted to rec.woodworking
Wuudchuck

Default Using Countertop as workbench top

Why not try using a solid core door? They're cheap and readily
available just about anywhere. I've used one in the past with great
success. In fact I think PlansNow has some "weekender bench" plans that
use a solid core door as the top.

Wuudchuck
http://wuudchuck.com - Free Woodworking Plans

wrote:
Hi, I'm a total newbie and trying to set up a first workshop on a
budget. I'm building a workbench and came across a relatively low cost
birch countertop that Ikea sells and thought of using it as an initial
top for my workbench. I know that its not ideal given some of the great
examples I've read about here on the rec and in The Workbench Book.
But, I'd like to use it until I can afford a better set-up. The
construction method I'm using would allow replacement of the top at a
later date. My other option is to use a double thickness of 3/4
plywood.

Any thoughts on the suitablity of this birch material as a bench top?
If so, what would you recommend for finishing it? Thanks in advance for
any suggestions to this somewhat confused newbie.

Here's is a link to the item which is solid birch, 1 1/8 thick and
available up to 69 1/4 length X 25 5/8:
http://tinyurl.com/n46ml

Thanks!
Pete