Posted to rec.woodworking
Scorp

Default Laguna vs MiniMax, a persion observation.

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 01:50:13 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

Hey Leon,

The MiniMax simply looks like it needs to be finished. The paint and welds
look terrible for a $2500 saw. While looks do not affect the performance of
a machine I would hope that the machine at least looked new.

I didn't notice that.

The sales reps
indeed compared their machine to the Laguna but were not factual about the
Laguna with respect to saying that you cannot adjust the Laguna fence for
drift, which you can. They indicated that the Laguna front fence guide bar
was hollow, which it is not. They indicated that the ceramic guides get so
hot that they delaminate from the holder. I have my doubts.

I've beat on my ceramic guides, no problems.

They did
demonstrate that you could grab the upper guide bar to tip the machine over
however I cannot think of a reason to use this feature. ;~)

Sure, I drag my saw around the shop like a cavewoman

Basically the table insert has to be removed if you tilt the
table to a 20 degree or greater angle. The blade ends up about 1/2" from
center when the table is tilted to 45 degrees.

Think my Laguna is pretty limited here too...

snip

I ordered the Laguna and expect to see it the second week in April.

Excellent.

Have to tell you about what one of the Laguna guys did at the show I
attended in Oct...some guy brought in a slice of a tree, looked like
fir, 14" diameter and pretty much round, the Laguna guy figures he'll
resaw a slice off freehand...had to stick around and watch, sure
enough the blade grabbed and jammed, didn't break but got severly
kinked. No digits lost but...what a moroon....

Steve Jensen
Abbotsford B.C.
chopping out the mortise.
BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps.