Roger Shoaf

Default OT - More LED info needed

Since you are making an address sign you probably already have electricity.
going the solar power route will require changing the batteries and
maintaining the system. A low voltage wire can be run cheap and the power
consumption is nominal.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Lane" lanenospam@copperaccentsdotcom wrote in message
I was amazed at the amount on information this group gave on the prior LED
discussion and would like to tap that source with my LED question.

I am designing a copper sculpture that will serve as a holder for a

lighted
address sign. In doing research on my options for providing the light,

I've
found that the best would probably be LEDs using a solar panel to charge

the
batteries during the day. I've found a commercially produced unit that is
being sold by a number of companies that does the same thing. However I
can't just buy one of those and use the guts, because they are designed

for
lighting only a one sided sign. Besides, it uses red LEDs, and I don't

want
that color. I want to hang my sign and have it viewable from both sides
with the lighting elements in the middle. Having more LEDs would require
more battery power and solar panel capacity than that unit would provide.

The LEDs needed for this wouldn't need to be bright, just enough to back
light a translucent panel by spacing the LEDs out across behind it. I
haven't been able to find a circuit that would do this and don't know how

design my own. I have limited knowledge of electronics, but would be able

follow a schematic and wire up a breadboard type of circuit board with

LEDs
on both sides.

Any and all help would be appreciated very much.
Lane