Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Retro Depot

Default CTC169 Woes...

Whoa... I've got to print this, I mean what JURB wrote. I'm liking the
thought that maybe the vertical section might have some issues vise-a-vis
electrolytics, but you see, I've lifted every last one and found no smoking
gun. I've had this type of problem with video signal on other chassis,
different brand, (1vp-p), corrupted the sync and color info after the burst,
(visible on scope), turned out to be bad cap near a coil, go figure. Now
back to this beast, I will try swapping out that zener tomorrow and look for
more. I've tried replacing the CR4118, just in case, still no dice. Might
have been poor regulation on one of the other supply lines, both 9 & 12 volt
supplies scoped no noise and bang on voltages under both stby & run
conditions. It's a little decieving when a good strong signal is used, other
than the picture going to b&w when scenes change, then go back to color for
the next scene, it has only the 'shifted left' symptom and the intermittant
hue shift, suttle, but still there. There's that banding, banding with
vertical linearity affected just within that band of distorted, almost like
flagging effect seen with mis-aligned vcr's, from time to time along with
severe hue shifts and a noticeable gap on the right, slightly bowed in. Hope
this info is useful, will keep everyone posted with results.
Cheers, Steve