Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Cable TV options?

"PipeDown" wrote in message
k.net...

"mgarvie" wrote in message
news:dbfYf.664564$084.400616@attbi_s22...
I'm trying to figure out the best way to wire my home for cable TV. Read
some conflicting opinions on some web sites and thought I would ask here.
Which option would be best or is there a third? Or doesn't it make a
difference?

1. Have one central location where the main cable comes in the house.
Split everything from that location and run seperate cables to each
outlet

2. Split the main cable where it comes in the house and run cables to
general locations in the house. From there split it further and run
cable to each outlet.

The very best way is to come in on one wire to a 4 or 8 way amplifier then
run one cable from that to each room. Split only at the TV for a VCR.
Avoid splitters as much as possible but you may need one at the beginning
if you have a cable modem or one in a room for multiple devices.

With an amplifier right up front, you can use crappy splitters and
salvaged cable and still get a decent picture but if you use too many
splitters, the signal will quickly sink below the noise level and when
that happens, even a sensitive tuner will see noise on some stations (at
random)

The main problem with video distribution systems is not letting noise onto
the line but allowing the signal to be reduced below that noise level
(SNR) by using too many splitters.

Get a good "cable company quality" splitter in a cast aluminum box not one
of those POS stamped can ones made by RCA. Check eBay, lots on sale.