Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Finishing Basement: Fastening Exterior Walls to Floor

Thanks for the info.

Code here only requires the barrier on the warm side of the wall but I
thought doing both sides might be a belt & suspenders solution for a
small increase in cost. I think I'll just do the one (warm) side and
leave it at that. It's a lot easier that way.

It turns out my concrete walls are not plumb vertical so I have a V-gap
going from the base of the wall to the top with the gap at the top
being about 2 inches. I'm stuck with that unless I really stuff it
with insulation which I don't plan on doing. So there will be a small
air gap.

1 of the long exterior basement walls will be in an unfinished area and
I won't be insulating it. I also won't be heating or cooling the
basement (other than using the HVAC from the rest of the house) so I
don't think I will have moisture problems either way. Plus I have had
the aluminium foil test going on for several days now (including this
severe rain) and there's no evidence of moisture on the walls or floor.

So I think I'm going to stick with the vapor barrier on only the warm
side and allow the gap to be whatever it turns out to be. Keep my
dehumidifier down there for insurance and just get down to business. I
got to GET 'ER DONE!!

Thanks for all your feedback guys...
Kevin