Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Laguna vs MiniMax, a persion observation.

Upscale wrote:

"cdo" wrote in message
Even at ~500rpm I can't see the tires lifting though...

Hell, it's less than 10 revolutions per second. I wouldn't consider that
fast at all.

You don't want high speed. High speed means more friction
and heat is The Enemy. What you want are well trued wheels
with the more inertia the better, good guides, proper tension,
enough horsepower so that the saw doesn't bog down, the right
feed rate AND the right blade for the specific type of cutting.

Not sure, unless you've got a catapillar type power feeder
set too high, why you need more than a couple of horsepower.
Four and a half or five horsepower seems to be major
overkill. Perhaps their following the US auto maker's
lead - foolishly.

charlie b