Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Pleated versus Media and Zoned Comfort Control

Mike wrote:
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, I have looked at a number of
places and they don't even have this size filter at Home Depot. The
only place is at place called Menards here in MN where these filters go
for about $15 for 10 filters. They are cheap, but I typically am
suspicious of overly cheap things. We don't have any pets and the
house is not overly dusty so maybe the 2400 filter would last a year?

Thanks,

Mike

The 2400 filter NEEDS a hydrostatic pressure guage across it (talk to
your vendor about this) to let you KNOW when it is time to change the
filter. It gives you a visual indication of the loading of the filter.
When the loading gets too high (i.e. the pressure drop across the filter
gets too high), change the filter. This pressure guage can be remotely
installed so that you do not have to go the furnace to look at it.

This filter is on the order of 5 inches DEEP. LOTS and LOTS of surface
area to trap dust, dirt, mites, etc. It will be HEAVY when you take it
out.

It will have a lower pressure drop than a 1" filter will at the same
MERV rating both empty and full

I have mold spore related allergies. Regardless of whether I use 1"
pleated or 4-5" deep pleated, my chest lets me know in no uncertain
terms when its time to change the filter.