Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default Fireplace insert. Advice?

dadiOH wrote:
Terry wrote:

Request some opinions/advice re alternatives for our existing
fireplace which lives in an imposing rock wall in our family room.

A recent insurance survey identified that the open grate fireplace
with a hanging metal curtain in front of it, should have an 18 inch
hearth in front of it. The 22 inch high and 23 inch wide fireplace
opening is about 12 inches up from the floor with a rock 'lip'
projecting about 8 inches. We do have a semi-non combustible plastic
shield laid on the carpet in front of it, which has prevented ash and
cinders melting the floor carpet.
The 'damper' originally operated by a turn-screw device has rotted
away over some 25 years. The flue is presently blocked to prevent
heat loss. The fireplace chimney has a 6 by 8 inch rectangular
masonry flue in good condition.
Such a fireplace while cheery when it was used is very inefficient and
creates dirt/ashes and heat loss etc. There is no possibility of an
ash dump because the back of the chimney is in a storeroom with same
floor level. Chimney construction also provides a separate 6 inch by
6 inch flue which goes further down and is connected to a wood stove
in the basement below this room. Insurance has approved that
installation.

Alternatives may be;

1) Add hearth 18 inches out at floor level or very slightly above it.
Repair or replace damper etc. Continue to burn wood etc.

2) Convert by adding a propane gas fireplace insert. This would
require a gas line, large gas bottle to be located outside (with
certain clearances), with regulator, ice snow protection, access for
refilling etc. Also certain regulations may require a different flue
and/or a special stainless steel flue liner? Propane heat with the
use of the small electric blower in such a fireplace is nice and
would add local warmth to the room .

3) Install an electric fireplace. Have never liked these because of
their 'artificiality' etc. But since rest of house with exception of
the basement wood stove is 'all-electric' anyway it would be easiest
to install and with no combustion involved cleanest. While I have the
skills to maintain most items electric would probably be simplest
(and cheapest) to maintain, myself (aged 70+).

4) Although some interesting oil stoves are available fuel becoming
more expensive? And the regulatory precautions for oil tank and fuel
line are considerable and a concern; insurance against environmental
damage would be another ongoing expense. So I omit this option.

Opinions/ideas welcome.

What do you want, pretty fire or heat?

Propane is going to be usually cheaper to operate than electric, looks
nicer too.

Bottles come in various sizes with the larger ones able to be partially
buried out of view. However, for just a fireplace, your propane use
will be small, so its a small cylinder.

4" stainless steel exhaust flue routes up thru your existing chimney.
Its not a special item, its INCLUDED with EVERY gas fireplace
installation!! The use of a separate flue for combustion air is
recommended so that you can keep the fireplace doors closed, and have
the blower circulate air around the firebox to collect heat and push it
out to the room.