Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default Vent down instead of up?

"motor man" wrote in message
oups.com...
One of our kitchen sinks has a vent problem , I think it is connected
to a vertcial vent that exits via the roof. However, the set up is with
a double sink connected to a common U trap. One sink has a disposal. If
the other sink's drain is sealed then the water does not flow out of
the disposal sink. Once you unseal the other sink all is well. Also
this sink sometimes gets an awful sewer like smell. I clean the
disposal regularilly with bleach so it is not this.
I wondered if I could put a seperate vent to this system , but I cannot
go up . Would it be OK if I went down after making a U above the sink
pipes, I have plenty of space under the house, but it would be
difficult ( lots of walls to cut into ! ) to go up. If you have any
ideas please cc my email so I don't miss your great thoughts.

Try putting a garden hose down the vent from the roof. Might clean it out..
Most vents go up, There is a loop vent for Island. Put if your getting sewer
odor your trap is dry . Both sinks go into the trap right?