Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Marrs

Default Making a tool cavity

wrote in message
oups.com...
Must be you get cleaner burning butane than I do, any time I use a
butane lighter or midget torch on plastic for polishing purposes, I end
up with soot embedded. On the other hand, I do have a nifty hot-air
tip for one of my butane soldering irons, I might just try that out if
I can dig it out from where the tool monster has it hid.

The inserts don't get busted in use so I don't need spares, red is
absolutely useless for a sight color for me and that's what most fiber
optic sights come with. So I've been busy converting them to green,
which works better.

Stan

There is a bit of technique involved. It's especially fun when you are
doing it between stages
at an IPSC match, standing in the rain with the wind blowing. I do bust a
few in use, usually by getting too close to a port or barricade and whacking
the front sight from recoil. There is a discussion on fiber optic sights
going on now over at www.brianenos.com Some good info there. I've tried
both the red and green. Either one works for me, but I trend toward red.

Bill