Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French

Default electricity meter tails - length and routing

In message , Grov
writes
Hi all,

I'm hoping some of the electricty regs gurus can help with advice on
meter tails.

Shortly I will be beginning an extension which forces a move of
electricity meter. I have all of the info about getting the meter
moved and where it can be located, but I cannot find any information
about the meter tails. What I need to know is the maximum length
allowed and what is / isn't acceptable for the routing of them.

The maximum length that can be protected by the supplier fuse is their
decision - it varies , but something like 2-3 m is the norm it would
seem. Longer than what they allow, and you should protect it with your
own switch fuse somewhere near the incoming supply.

You need to talk to someone at the company that maintains your local
network (the company that was your old local elec.board), which of
course may not be your supplier - though I think you need to go via
them. when I enquired about this a few years back, trying to get to talk
to someone who knew what I was on about took a little while.
--
Chris French