Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256

Default Putting Snowblower Away For Season: Best Way ?

Paul Franklin wrote:
On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 15:04:02 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

First time I've had a snowblower.
Will be putting it away for the season, now.

Regarding the best approach to take with the gas that is still in the tank:

I vote for running it dry too. I have one of those cheap hand
operated siphon pumps used for fuel transfer. I use that to get most
of the gas out of the tank and then just let it run till it quits.

The other advice about changing the oil (if it's not a two cycle) and
cleaning and lubing everything is good advice.

Another good tip is to pull the spark plug, squirt in a little motor
oil, and then slowly use the starter rope to turn the engine one or
two revolutions to spread the oil all up and down the cylinder walls.

Paul

I use exactly the same procedure (recommended in the owners manual)
except I just use a small nylon tube for siphoning.. Can't see at
Stabil will do any good if you run it dry.

Been doing that with all my engines for 40+ years. Never had one fail
to start on the first pull after filling the next season. I wouldn't
want to keep any kind of gas in a snow blower all summer. It gets
terribly hot where I store it and even with Stabil maybe all will evaporate.