Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Default 'nother chain saw question

RB wrote:
You guys got me deciding to buy several spare chain blades instead of
getting a roll of chain and tossing out dull pieces.

My 16" bar uses a chain the Craftsman sells for $20. I found two other
online places that sell it for $30.

Is a 16" chain a 16" chain a 16" chain? Or are they make/model specific?

I'd think I could beat the Sears price, but Googled and DogPiled it and
couldn't. Online sources of inexpensive chain blades welcome.

The length of the chain should be about the same
and the saw be able to adjust to slight
variations. However, different saws use different
chains, either the width or the shape of the teeth
and possibly the spacing on the drive. I haven't
checked in the last 2 months or so, but Walmart
sells the standard Oregon chain that many saws use
in a two pack that cost about $15 per chain. $30
a chain sounds pretty high unless it is a
specialized chain.